Is money everything ??

Had a 'discussion' with some of my friends in regards to the topic above. Hence before I point out my view... What do YOU think about that ?? Is money simply as said above, everything ?? I do believe for those who knows me, I'm someone who never believes that money is everything. I do have doubts after the chat, and therefore I went and did some studies about it.

A lot of people claim success to be having a lot of money where we can easily do things without any trouble. When we are sick, we would have money to see a doctor. When we want something, money can buy that for ourselves. When we have enough money and everlasting income, we are considered successful. Isn't it true ?? Sadly, I dont agree to this... I do consider cash important but it's certainly not everything. It's just something that we, humans will need to survive.

Money can buy a house, but never a home
Money can buy us a clock, but can never buy us time
Money can buy us a bed, but can never buy us good night sleep
Money can buy us a book, but can never buy us knowledge and wisdom
Money can buy a post in any company, but can never buy respect
Money can buy a doctor, but can never buy us health
Money can buy blood, but can never buy life

For those who always talk about friendship
Money can buy a friend and a person, but can never buy his/heart heart and love

If that's the case, 
what is success ??
Everlasting and infinite money ??

For myself, I do not consider the monetary part as something that is so important in my life. Of course, everyone needs money but it's not success at all for me. I do believe that success comes from the spiritual part of our life. Which we would be facing after death

Mat 6:33  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you.

There's another quote I feel quite interesting from my father's blog which goes like this

Those who believe money can do everything are frequently prepared to do everything for money. Would you rather live richly ?? Or die with riches.

With that, I do and still believe in my stand where money isn't everything. We may be a billionaire but can we buy back your mother and father ? Can we buy the friendship we have in school or at our work place and most importantly. Can we buy our own life ?? I would end this post with a simple story which really hits directly to my heart when my father gave a sermon about riches

An American businessman was at the pier of a tiny coastal Mexicanvillage when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them. The Mexican replied, "Only a little while."

The American then asked why didn't he stay out longer and catch more fish? The Mexican said that he had enough to support his family's immediate needs. The American then asked, "But what do you do with the rest of your time?"

The Mexican fisherman replied,
"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life, senor."

The American scoffed, 
"I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds buy a bigger boat and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats. Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would increase your profits and sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this tiny coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then to LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise."

The Mexican fisherman asked, "But senor, how long will this all take?"

The American replied, "15-20 years."

"But what then, senor?"

The American laughed and said, "That's the best part. When the time is 
right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public 
and become very rich, you would make millions."

"Millions, senor? Then what?"

The American said, "Then you would retire. Move to a tiny coastal fishing village where you could sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos."
"But I though I was doing this all along, senor ??"
With this
I hereby end my post

- Signing off -

Posted on 12:42 AM by Jefferychan and filed under | 1 Comments »

1 comments:

kenghuei said... @ April 12, 2009 at 4:52 AM

very meaningful post!
totally agree..but without money, u cannot do alot of things ya..so still..money first! :P
but must not sacrifice other important aspects of life such as character and values, relationship, friendship, quality time etc etc.. :)